Tuesday, November 6, 2007

Chair Building

This particular assignment has taken multiples tries. One reason for this is due to log in problems. I read on Second Life's section entitled "known issues", that some residents are logging in only to find an "incorrect log in" error. Unfortunately, I was part of this issue. The other reason for multiple tries is my own experience level. My confusion produced good results though, because it prompted me to search the web for video tutorials, tips and tricks, and other blogs regarding building with prims.

I was pleased to find an array of resources on this subject. I also found some valuable resources for scripting, a topic that I know little about. Building.com is a website dedicated to not only creating and building, but scripting, communicating, and earning money as well. I also made use of Second Life's support center where there were even more guides to prims. Although a log in issue caused a delay, my chair is in process. After I studied building and prims, I felt less intimidated by the project.

The tutorial at the Ivory Tower helped, but I felt like I was walking through a museum. It was sensory overload, so I didn't retain the information very well. I was easily distracted by displays, not to mention other residents chatting with me, that I found it hard to approach in a step by step fashion. There are still some concepts that are not clear to me, but I think that practice along with persistence will clarify these issues.

While researching, I found many free texture downloads that looked like they would be fun to work with. The texture entitled "glass blocks" is my favorite so far. This experience also led me to several guides that used programs like Gimp and Photoshop to create objects. Once created, the objects could be imported and used in Second Life. Before this experience, I didn't realize that things like hair, skin, and poses could be created with prims and scripts. Since I'm also making some cosmetic changes to my avatar, I'm looking forward to incorporating the new information that I've learned.

No comments: